Home RAP
New Blog Posts: Merging Reports - Part 1 and Part 2

RAP invalid dbfield names should give an error

Referencing fields as pipelinename['fieldname'] should give a error if the field or pipe does not exist. This is important if the dataset SQL is changed.

Can there perhaps be a property on the report to set strict?

Lawrence

Comments

• Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you referring to a compiler error or runtime error? An error is given at runtime when the field name is incorrect however it is not very descriptive. We will look at providing a more useful runtime error when a field name does not exist.

I do not believe Delphi gives a compiler error when field names are incorrect but we'll add this to our list of possible enhancements for RAP.
    Best Regards,

Nico Cizik
    Digital Metaphors
    http://www.digital-metaphors.com
  • Thanks. I have not tested it yet with 22.03 but I was considering 19.* which just seemed to overlook it and return empty.

Have I got that right?

Lawrence
  • Sorry, it was a runtime thing with no error presented.

Lawrence
  • I have a simple report, and changed the fields for some
    DBTEXT objects.

It printed / previewed with no errors messages showing.

Lawrence
  • ** Hi there, can you help **
  • Hi Lawrence,

This is working as designed. After further research, the error I was receiving in my test app was due to a type mismatch and was not directly related to the incorrect field name per se. We will consider adding a descriptive runtime error to RAP when the field name is not found for a future release of ReportBuilder.
    Best Regards,

Nico Cizik
    Digital Metaphors
    http://www.digital-metaphors.com
  • That would be good, both for dbtext fields and pipes as well as d := pipename['field']

Are you confirming that this behaviour does not happen in the current version.

Is there a patch that I might have to do it?

Thank you

Lawrence