Home General
New Blog Posts: Merging Reports - Part 1 and Part 2

Can't generate report

edited March 2002 in General
Still on my side by side report. I restarted the report from scratch and now it works in most cases.

In fact, it works perfectly except when there are overflows. Here's the report's description :

master=client
detail1=list of all the client's invoices
detail2=invoice
detail3=invoice's detail

master report contains a subreport (detail1) in its detail band.
detail1 only contains a subreport to detail2 in its detail band.
detail2 contains several regions on the left and one subreport (3) on the right. regions are ShiftRelativeTo each other (triple-checked the order)

when detail2 overflows I get a "can't generate report" (translated from french) with no error message, just a dot. Took me quite some time to understand why some clients wouldn't print.

I tried to put the subreport in detailband1 in a region and set it to KeepTogether : doesn't help.

If I disable the detail3 content (it's an on-the-fly-generated memtable), I get the 4 first invoices clean (with no detail of course) and fifth invoice only has its title : the linked regions have just disappeared : I don't see them on the next page.

There seem to be 2 problems :
- if the right-side report overflows, I get the "can't generate report" error
- if the left-side collection of regions overflows, I "just" lose the overflowing regions

If I, once again, put the subreport in detailband1 in a region ans set KeepTogether to true, I completely lose the invoice.

Tried to set SubReport3 invisible : doesn't change.
Normally, the regions (on the left) are linked to each other and the right-side one is linked to the first region (the title that goes across the whole page).
I thought this was the problem so I tried linking it to the last region and put it underneath : doesn't change anything.

Also tried to set the OverflowOffset of the first region to 150 (millimeters) : there's no change though I should not have that many invoices on the first page since the report should make a new page if there are not 150mm left on the page (that's half the page).

I don't see what to try next.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited March 2002
    I modified our demo #73 to have an overflowing subreport on the right with 3
    stacked regions to the left of it inside of the first level detail
    subreport. It seems to work correctly. There must be a setting that you
    have which is causing the error in your report. We'll need to reproduce it
    here in order to fix the problem. Can you modify the demo#73 report in our
    main reports demo project to reproduce the problem and we'll be able to run
    the report. Thanks. support@digital-metaphors.com

Cheers,

Jim Bennett
    Digital Metaphors

This discussion has been closed.